Data Literacy student projects
brooke cagle / unsplash
Given the ongoing digital transformation of society, science, and the economy and the resulting increase in data and complexity in all areas, data competence is crucial for students in all disciplines. Data literacy, i.e., the basic skills for a critical understanding of processes of data collection, storage, processing, analysis, and visualization and how to critically reflect upon contemporary data practices are central prerequisites for individual participation in a digital world.
In this context, the DDLitLab supports students of all subjects to hone their data skills in independent research projects and to acquire additional skills in scientific work and research-based learning. In preparation, the DDLitLab offers the interdisciplinary course Data Thinking—Creative Methods for Developing Data-Driven Innovations in Summer Semester 2022, an additional opportunity to develop innovative project ideas by learning and applying creative methods in a team and that can then be used as a basis for the project proposal.
marvin meyer / unsplash
What is funded?
• data-driven, innovative student projects that address aspects of data literacy in independent; scholarly research projects
Who is eligible for funding?
• students of all bachelor, master, and state exam programs at Universität Hamburg; small groups of 2 to 5
• prerequisite: mentor, i.e., a member of the academic staff at Universität Hamburg responsible for supervising the small group
What do mentors have to be prepared for?
• See Information for Mentors website for information on the role and duties of mentors for student projects.
What is the duration of a project?
• 6 to 12 months
• 1 October 2022 to 30 September 2023
What does the funding include?
• maximum of € 10,000 per student project
• option of receiving credit points in the free elective area
• use of software and hardware provided by the DDLitLab
How and by when must you apply?
For more information, please refer to the funding announcement and evaluation criteria in the download section at the bottom of this website.